Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I GOT A KINDLE!!!


So several months ago when my sister called me on my birthday, she asked me what I wanted and I had joked with her that I wanted a Kindle. Yes, I had been eyeing the new Kindle Fire HD Seven Inch for like three months prior to that, but at the end of the day, my cheap and/or poor ass had finally come to the conclusion that I was just not interested in plunking down $200+ on a tablet.

Anyway, word got back to my mom that I wanted a Kindle and she told me that she would get it for me. I told her that it wasn’t necessary and, deep down inside, I didn’t believe her. It’s not that my mother isn’t a woman of her word or that she never gets me anything, it’s just that my family and I aren’t really big on giving each other gifts. If one of us needs or wants something and lets someone know, then he or she is likely to get spotted the cash in order to go out and buy whatever it is. The whole idea of gift buying and then giving to the person is…rare. I guess there have been some Christmases when we’ve done it but even those instances have been…rare.

But it’s two months later and I’m up in New York for a cousin’s wedding and my sisters and my mom came up from Miami, too. We see each other for the first time in my aunt’s house up in NY and my one sister hands me a bag. In it are the clutch bags and sweaters I instructed her to bring up for me – stuff that I had left behind. Then I see there’s this box at the bottom of the bag…it’s black…and hard…is this a hardback book?...no…it’s a little bigger…I’m taking it out of the bag……BAM!...WTF?!...this woman really did get me a Kindle!!!

And because I’m the emotionally-handicapped, bitch-of-a-daughter that I am, instead of running up to her and hugging her and doing my happy dance physically (instead of mentally), I looked up at her in disgust and demanded to know why she had went out and spent so much of her money.

“It’s called ‘thank you’,” said my sister, rolling her eyes.

Ashamed, I let my face get a little softer and mumbled a “thank you” to my mom. Then I smiled, clutched it to my chest and started talking about how badly I’d wanted but also needed it.  Then my mommy smiled. 

And, in my head of course, I was like, I frickin love that woman!


                                 I don't want anything to happen to my pookie wookie
                                 so I bought it a jacket and some screen protectors :-)


I’m not going to bash the Ipad or anything but, for those of you who are looking for something cheaper, the Kindle Fire is the obvious choice – especially if you’re a reader like me. Click here to check out Amazon’s Kindle page for specs on the Kindle Fire, which is also available in a bigger 9-inch size.

Below is what I am currently reading on my Kindle, the very first book I’ve ever read on my Kindle to be exact. I like it so far. It was in Oprah’s Book Club List. No, I don’t read everything that Oprah’s Book Club reads…I just a few of them… Bite me.

Click here to learn more about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment